Wednesday, October 12, 2011

20 Years Ago

I always enjoy this time of the year.  We have the baseball playoffs, my birthday, Halloween, the State Fair of Texas and the weather finally cools down!!

But one of the little known facts about why I like this time of the year is that it marks the time of the year when Heather and I first started dating our Sophomore year of High School…and this year it has been 20 years!

You can all read the entire story here, but it basically breaks down to two weekends in October of 1991.

The first weekend, we went to the State Fair with Heather’s Future Homemakers of America class.  She invited me, so I went.  We spent the day running around the Fair flirting and being 15.  We had a great time and she slept on my shoulder all the way home. 

Now I am notorious for remembering really small details about things and one thing that I remember is when her mom picked us up was the song that was playing was “Life is a Highway” by Tom Cochrane.  I have no idea why I remember that, but I did and our life together has been a highway just like the song...kind of ironic. 

The next weekend was a Friday before a football game.  It was after school, we were talking on the phone and Heather was getting ready to head back up to school for Band.  Right before we hung up I asked her to be my girlfriend and she said “yes”.

I remember thinking “Great!  Now what?”.  But I went to the game and after the game we went and got pizza with rest of the band and our relationship went on from there.

This picture was taken around that time as well.  This was our first date as boyfriend/girlfriend…granted it was with my parents at my birthday dinner, but still.


Now I am pretty sure that you are thinking the exact same thing I am…what in the heck did she see in you?  Believe me, I wonder the same thing.  This is our first “date” and this is what I am wearing?

You can tell from Day 1 that I “married up” and this is the proof!!

While we were friends long before we ever started dating, those two weeks in October are two that I will never forget.  It has lead us to where we are today and I couldn’t be more happy to have her by my side after all these years.

Love you babe!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment