Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What If?


What if you could go back in time?  What if you could go back and “take the road less traveled”?  What if you could go back and start all over?  Would you?

I always see people talk about doing it over or if I could go back I would do it differently.  But would you really?

I am a person that believes the series of choices you make puts you on a path to where you are today.  I don’t regret choices I have made.  Do I wish maybe I had handled some things differently?  Sure, we all do.  But saying you wish you could “do the whole thing over”?  No thanks.

Looking back on life, no matter how old you are, it is easy to say “maybe if I had done this” or “maybe if I had done that” things would be different.  But would that be a good thing?

Looking back at some of the major decisions in my life, I cant say I regret the choices that I made at the time…but I do I wish the outcome had been different, you bet!  

For example, I always wished that I had just gone to college.  It is easy to sit and say that I “regret” it because it has had an effect on my career.  But I don’t.  Why?  Well, let’s take a look.

If I had gone to college, I probably would have went to one of the handful of colleges I was accepted to…all of which were out of Dallas/Ft. Worth.  When I graduated, would I have moved back to D/FW?  Who knows?  I might have met someone in school and stayed there.  I might have gotten a job that required me to move.  Any of a number of things might have happened. 

But I can tell you what wouldn’t have happened…

Eleven year ago I wouldn’t have run into a buddy from High School (Chris Childress) and swapped phone numbers.  And Heather wouldn’t have run into him a few weeks after that and got my number from him.  And ten years later, I wouldn’t be married to my best friend with an amazing daughter living this thing called life.

Every decision you made impacts where you are today. 

Sounds simple, but have you embraced that? 

Or do you wonder ‘What If’ all the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment